Friday, January 8, 2010

Thing #4: "The Edible Thing"

Okay, the first several "Things" that I've decided to tackle are all pretty much hard work and focused on making myself a better person.  Time to switch gears for a bit and focus on new experiences and fun things.  Which I guess will also make me a better person.  And what better way to start off than by pitting "Things" against each other.  Sorry, Thing #1, but it's time for...

Thing #4 (aka "The Edible Thing"): Find the best damn burger out there.


I figure for something like this, I do need to lay down a few ground rules (see, Thing #1...I'm lookin' out for ya).  But I'll save that for a later post.

6 comments:

  1. I'm in for every burger you eat this year. Pending out-of-state-burger-consumption sans Vegas.

    Holla?

    ReplyDelete
  2. if burger exploration is on the slate, i could help you out with that. a few places i've heard good things about:
    umami burger
    apple pan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did Apple Pan right before the holidays...wasn't terribly impressed, but it was an interesting experience. I have yet to hit Father's Office, though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree about Apple Pan. Good, but not STELLAR. Kind of a step above In n Out to me.

    My contenders:
    1) Tompkins Square (Westchester) - I've had the mushroom burger. Very tasty. Plus, great draught beer selection.
    2) Pretzel Burger @ Hudson House (Redondo Beach) - well-prepared, great quality beef (grass-fed) and excellent sweet potato fries. Also, excellent Craft beer selection in bottles
    3) Simzy's (Manhattan Beach) - excellent beef (grass-fed?) and large portion. Good, rotating, craft beer selection. REALLY busy (and small), tho, so you may have a wait for a table.
    4) Bowery (Hollywood) - reminds me a lot of Corner Bistro in NYC. Perfectly prepared to your liking and very good martinis.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd have a bunch of suggestions if you were on the East Coast. I have heard that Father's Office is great. Has Five Guys gotten out there yet? I personally don't think it's the best, but I know a lot of people who do. If you look up "Best Thing I Ever Ate" on FoodNetwork.com, they did an episode on burgers, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They actually talked about Five Guys in an NPR Planet Money podcast...but I haven't seen them out on this coast.

    ReplyDelete