Tuesday, January 5, 2010

The Black Hole

In Regards to Thing #1: "The Obvious Thing"

I arrived at work this morning to discover that I left my gym bag at home.  But before I relay why this is very unfortunate, a little background is in order.

Traditionally, I would bring one backpack to work, and it would carry my laptop, power cord, clothes/workout towel for the gym, and my combination lock.  I'd also bring a pair of shoes along with me...unless what I wore to work could double for the gym.  I thought it would nice, though, to have a separate gym bag, which carried all my workout stuff, and I could just keep that in my car...no muss, no fuss (and I wouldn't have to drag my laptop into the gym, another bonus).  To that end, I asked for one for Christmas...and I got one.

Yesterday was the first day I used it, and I'm still working the kinks out of the system.  Since I shower at home after the gym, I still need to transport my work clothes OUT of the bag at the end of the day, and put new workout clothes IN it.  Because of that, I couldn't really just leave the bag in the car when I got home...I still have to cart it out of the car, up to my room, and reload.  The perfect opportunity for me to forget the gym bag the next morning.  Which, of course, I did.

For most people, this wouldn't be a problem.  There's a branch of 24 Hour Fitness about a five-minute drive from my home.  But, for me, home is a Black Hole.  Once I make it back there after a day of work, the odds of me escaping again in the evening for ANYTHING (e.g. gym, grocery shopping, dining out, hitting the bar) are infinitesimally small.

So we'll see if I can overcome the gravitational pull of Buckingham Parkway tonight.  Head home, get geared up for the gym, and depart.  Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. Recommend preparing and putting your gym bag in your car at nite. Same thing with your meals and/or snack. 10 mins efforts at nite but a lot of benefit the next day. Nat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your 1st of 12 new years resolutions is to go to the gym tonight after going home? Just think, a whole year of accomplishment in one night!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, any post beginning with "Thing #1" refers to my goal of losing weight. There has been some confusion around this. Will figure out how to address soon...

    ReplyDelete