Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Doing My Research: Trypanophobia

In Regards to Thing #3: "The Phobia Thing"

Before tackling my fear of needles head-on, I figured I should do a little background research into what's bugging me.  Sure, Wikipedia shouldn't be your end-all be-all in terms of medical information, but it gave me a good top-level view of my distaste for needles:
  • Trypanophobia is the extreme and irrational fear of medical procedures involving injections or hypodermic needles.  Other terms refer to an overarching fear of needles...but this is the term that is specific to the medical aspect.  Given that I'm more afraid of the commitment that goes with getting a tattoo than with the needle itself, I'm thinking this is the relevant fear.
  • Sounds familiar: The condition was officially recognized in 1994 in the DSM-IV as a specific phobia related to blood, injury and injections.  Phobic level responses to injections cause sufferers to avoid inoculations, blood tests, and in the more severe cases, all medical care.
  • My favorite "No Shit" fact: It is likely that needle phobia is genetic and has some basis in evolution, given that thousands of years ago humans who meticulously avoided stab wounds and other incidences of pierced flesh would have a greater chance of survival.
  • And a somewhat less comforting piece of information: Although most phobias are dangerous to some degree, trypanophobia is one of the few that can kill.  In severe cases, the drop in blood pressure caused by the shock reflex sometimes experienced during a needle procedure may cause death. Great.

2 comments:

  1. Where's the like button? oh, this isn't facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So you're of the 'avoid all medical care' variety, thus visiting a doctor and getting a physical will help you overcome your phobia. An important first step. Get a physical damnit!

    ReplyDelete